Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mountain Home to Boise (Meridian) - 7 Jul 09

Duff reporting: I was up by 4:30, and packed and ready to ride by 6 AM. The air was cool, and there was no wind, so it made for great riding conditions. I had set myself some intermediate goals and times, and did good at meeting or beating them. I rode the frontage roads much of the way toward Boise, and finally did 10 miles on I-84 since there was no other way. My general impression of the terrain from Mtn. Home to Boise is that it is a steady gentle climb the whole way, or at least to exit 64. I got off the freeway there, and rode west on Kuna-Mora Road, which put me into the teeth of a 10-20 mph headwind. Thank goodness, the road tended to be slightly downhill. When I turned north on Cloverdale Road for the last stretch to the hotel, again it was into the headwind, which really saps my strength. I wound up walking more hills than I intended, but it all covered ground. My 55 miles today is my longest distance to date, and in some ways, I was less fatigued today that I was yesterday. My destination was the Candlewood in Meridian, and I arrived about 2:30 PM. The folks here are super, just like they were in Idaho Falls. Again, if you are every able to stay at a Candlewood Suites in your travels, I encourage you to do so. Very nice, and the staff is so helpful. I'll stay here tonight, and then bike to the nearby Boise Valley HFH ReStore tomorrow at 9 AM for a reception and whatever else they have planned. Then off to Canyon County's ReStore for more media stuff.

"Washington Cyclist Stop
Wed., July 8, 9:30-10:30 a.m.
208-375-5256
Sports & Fitness
A Washington cyclist named Jim Duffield is trekking across Washington and Idaho to raise funds and awareness for Habitat for Humanity. Duffield is riding a recumbent bicycle pulling a trailer with his wirehaired dachshund puppy, Max. They are passing through Idaho and cyclists are invited to join on part of the ride. Read more about the journey at duffbikesforhabitat.blogspot.com. "

No comments:

Post a Comment