Monday, May 25, 2009

I didn't hit my goal today

My goal for today's ride was to do about 17 miles and include a hill climb.  I did pull Max in his trailer for about 95 minutes, so that was progress for both of us.  However, I underestimated the steepness of the hill, and had to quit riding part way up.  Maybe without the trailer and Max I might have made it, but I doubt it.  The shortened distance was 16 miles, and once again I was riding in wind.  Did I mention how I dislike riding in the wind?

Because of today's experience and the greater eventual weight I'll be pulling, I suspect on the ID ride I will wind up walking up the more significant hills.  For example, Whitebird Hill and Lewiston Hill will probably get walked.  I've always figured that may be the case, and while I'll give them a good shot, they hills will probably win.  I least I can coast down the back sides--I sure could not do that on my hike three years ago.

Max seemed to do OK today, so I'm encouraged he will be able to handle the duration of the ID ride.  I'm most concerned about the heat.  I waited today to ride in the afternoon heat, but it was only in the 70's, so that probably did not provide much of a heat test.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment